Wednesday, June 10, 2009

Diet Changes

In my last post I left off mentioning that in my reading about Autoimmune Diseases there was a common thread. Sugar is not good for the Immune System. It is just about the first line I read anywhere I went. When I thought about restricting sugar, my first thought was "what kind of diet do Diabetics eat?" It seems that from everything I read, the latest research showed Diabetics to well on Low Carb Diets. When you think Low Carb, who do you think of? I immediately thought of "Atkins". Yes, Atkins...the diet nobody wants to talk about. Today similar approaches are out in all kinds of diets that don't say "low carb" because it is so unfashionable...but that is exactly what they are.

Anyways, I had had a little past experience with a lower carb diet. A few relatives went on it and I myself had lost some weight after my first child using it. I thought I would take another look at it and read the Atkins book on the advise of my Aunt. I have since read many different kinds of books on this subject , but I find that Atkins New Diet Revolution explains things in the simplest terms. I strongly urge anybody to just read the first few chapters of the book if nothing else to open your mind up to a different way of thinking. It simply explains in layman's terms how sugar triggers an insulin response in your body. Too much insulin leads to inflammation and a whole host of problems. Now I am not a "die-hard", but I do try to keep my intake at 50 grams a day to keep primarily in ketosis. In my next post I will talk about how the diet went at first (it wasn't pretty)...but it lead to a good result in the end.

No comments:

Post a Comment