In my last post I brought up the big-bad "Low Carb" diet. I say that jokingly as as whenever I say I am doing Atkins or "Low Carb" people think I am one steak away from a heart attack! I don't blame people, I used to think the same thing. However, my blood work is excellent (my triglycerides fell to only 56!). But more about that later. On to my first few days on Atkins....
I am not going to lie, the first few days of this lifestyle are HORRIBLE, especially for someone suffering from Meniere's symptoms. As your body changes over from carb burning to a fat burning mode, you will most likely suffer some unpleasant symptoms. I developed head aches, severe lethargy, dizziness (yes -exactly what we Meniere's people are trying to avoid), dry mouth, a bit of insomnia, restless leg syndrome, and more. Luckily I had read up on the subject and knew to expect this or I probably would have quit. One thing thing that is very important to know (in case you are on diuretics for Meniere's like I was) is that you will encounter quite a bit of water loss. In fact, I chose to stop taking my diuretic as I was loosing so much water. I also started some magnesium and potassium supplements in addition to a good multi-vitamin and this greatly helped my symptoms. For the restless leg syndrome I drank sugar free Tonic water. So this sounds like torture, right??? It was, but I stuck through it.
After about a week or so something amazing happened. I had a clear head and lots of energy. As long as I stuck to the low carb foods, I was able to tolerate salt again. In fact, as of today I neither take diuretics, nor do I watch my salt intake. This way of eating eliminates the excess water so I just don't worry about it anymore. In addition to salt, I no longer worry about fat either. It goes against anything we have ever been taught, but if I eat fats in absence of carbohydrates, I do not gain weight (oh, and did I mention my low very LOW triglycerides!!). Much of this is explained by leading scientific jounalist Gary Taubes. I encourge you to read his article posted in the NY Times entitled "What if it was all a big fat lie" http://www.nytimes.com/2002/07/07/magazine/what-if-it-s-all-been-a-big-fat-lie.html
Now I am not saying this is a cure, as I do still have to watch other "triggers". However, with the dietary change I am able to work full time, have two kids, and live a pretty normal life. I would say my day to day symptoms have decreased a good 80% or more since making this dietary change.
Sunday, June 28, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

Hi - I too have Meniere's and am on about day 3 of a LCHF diet. I hope you are still doing great!
ReplyDeleteI must admit I am having trouble finding enough "fatty" things to eat without triggering my Meniere's.